Breakout Sessions allow you to brainstorm and collaborate in small private groups away from the main training session.Participants can share information, chat, annotate, communicate via teleconference or VoIP, and pass the presenter ball. Once back in the main training session, information from breakout sessions can be shared with everyone.
Setting Up Breakout Sessions
You can set up breakout sessions when you schedule a training session, or add them to a training session in progress.
Pre-assign Sessions During Scheduling
1. On the scheduling page, navigate to Breakout Session Assignments Settings.
2. Check Enable Pre-Session Assignment.
3. Select Automatically assign attendees during the session or Manually assign registered attendees to breakout sessions and complete the steps for each method.
- If you select Automatically assign attendees during the session, you have the option to specify the number of breakout sessions that will be available during the session or the number of attendees who will be assigned to a session.
If you specify the number of breakout sessions, they will be created and are available when you start the session and open the breakout session panel. Attendees are assigned randomly to one of the available breakout sessions as they join. The first attendee assigned to each session is that session’s presenter
If you specify the number of attendees per breakout session, one breakout session is created initially. Attendees are assigned randomly to that breakout session as they join. Additional breakout sessions are created as attendees join and the number of attendees per breakout session you specified is reached. The first attendee assigned to each session is that session’s presenter.
- If you select Manually assign registered attendees to breakout sessions, attendee registration is required. You must first approve the registrations, unless you select automatically approve, before you can pre-assign attendees to sessions.
When you start your training session, your breakout sessions will be ready to go.
You can change breakout session assignments, including the presenter during the training session by clicking Breakout in the menu bar, then selecting Breakout Session Assignment.
Create Sessions During Training
1. From the Breakout menu, select Open Breakout Session Panel.
2. Click Breakout Assignment.
3. Choose one of the following.
If you set the number of breakout sessions, they will be created and are available when you open the breakout session panel. Attendees are assigned randomly to one of the available breakout sessions as they join.
If you set the number of attendees per breakout session, one breakout session is created initially. Attendees are assigned randomly to that breakout session as they join. Additional breakout sessions are created as attendees join and the number of attendees per breakout session you specified is reached.
4. Click OK.
Starting Breakout Sessions
1. From the Breakout Session panel, click Start.
2. Breakout session presenters will receive a prompt asking them if they would like to start their session; they should click Yes.
3. Invited attendees receive a prompt asking them if they would like to join the session; they should click Yes.
Note: All participants are prompted to switch from the main audio teleconference to the breakout session audio conference.
Joining Breakout Sessions
- On the Breakout Session panel, highlight the name of the breakout session that you wish to join.
- Click Join.The attendee is connected to the session.
Note: The Let others join breakout session without invitation option must be enabled for attendees to join on their own.
Communicating in a Session
Communication tools, such as Chat, Feedback, Annotation, and Audio, work the same as in the main training session except that you are communicating with your breakout session group only. However, all attendees can ask the main presenter for assistance at any time.
- On the Breakout Session Panel, click the Ask for Help button.
The main presenter receives an alert that you need help, and a Raise Hand icon appears next to your name in the main session.
Presenting in a Breakout Session
Sharing in a breakout session is similar to sharing in the main session. You can share documents, whiteboards, applications, and information on the web. Desktop sharing is also an option if you wish. While presenting, if you decide to collaborate with another participant, you can pass control of the shared content to them.
1. As the presenter for a breakout session, go to the Share menu, Sharing Toolbar, or Quick Start tab and select the type of content you wish to share.
2. When you are in full-screen view, a floating icon tray appears with choices for pausing, annotating, assigning control, and returning to the breakout.
3. To pass the presenter ball, select a name in the participants list and click Make Presenter.
Returning to the Session
An attendee can return to the main session at any time, the breakout session presenter can end the breakout session for all attendees, or the main session presenter can send a prompt to end all sessions and return to the main training session.
Choose an option depending on your role:
|Attendee||Leave Breakout Session from the Breakout Session panel.||A prompt appears confirming you want to leave the breakout session and return to the main session.|
|Breakout session presenter||End Breakout Session from the Breakout Session panel.||A prompt confirms you want to end the breakout session for all participants.|
|Main Session Presenter||Ask All to Return from the Breakout menu in the main session.|
Asks participants to return to the main session. Participants have the option to return to the main session or remain in the breakout session.
|Main Session Presenter||End All from the Breakout menu in the main session.||A prompt appears notifying all participants that breakout sessions will end automatically in 30 seconds.|
Sharing Content in the Main Session
Once back in the main session, the discussion can continue. If shared documents were saved on exiting the breakout session, the main presenter can request that those documents be shared in the main session.
- From the Breakout menu, select Share Breakout Session Content. The last presenter for each breakout session will be listed with the topic of their session.
- Choose a presenter and click OK. The chosen presenter is sent a request to share their breakout session content.
- The breakout session presenter selects a content item and clicks OK. The content appears in the content viewer of the main training session.