Support sessions are not scheduled, but started in response to a call from a customer who needs assistance. A customer support representative (CSR) must start a session before a customer can join. Customers do not need a WebEx account to join a support session; they need only be invited by a CSR.
If desired, you can configure WebEx One-Click to start support sessions. You might find this option helpful if you provide on-demand support, instead of working in your organization’s support queue.
Starting a Support Session
- Log in to your WebEx Support Center site. The Support Session page appears.
- Click Start or click Provide Support in the left navigation panel, then click Start Session.
- Select a session type (and tracking code, if required), then click Start. The session toolbar and Participants panel are displayed.
Inviting Customers to a Support Session
Once you have started a support session, you can invite one or more customers to join.
To invite a customer to a session:
- If the Invite dialog is not displayed automatically, click Invite in the toolbar.
- Select Customer, choose an invitation option, then send the invitation.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to invite additional customers, if necessary.
When you have multiple customers in a session, you can make a secondary customer the primary customer (to allow that customer to share an application, for example).
To change a secondary customer to a primary customer:
- if the Participants panel is not displayed, click the Participants icon in the tool bar.
- Select the customer you want to make primary. The previous primary customer becomes secondary.
Communicating in a Session
You can communicate with customers and other CSRs in your session using chat, audio, and video.
To start a chat session:
- Click the Chat icon in the toolbar. The Chat panel appears.
- Select the recipients from the Send to list, type your message, then click Send.
You can start an audio conference using your phone, or VoIP.
To start an audio conference:
- Click the Audio icon in the toolbar.
- From the Audio menu, select Join Phone Call or Start Voice Call.
- If you select Join Phone Call, follow the instructions in the prompt to start the audio conference.
- If you select Start Voice Call, you are connected to audio using VoIP.
Customers and CSRs who have joined the session are prompted to join the audio conference.
You can share video from your computer and view video from customers and other CSRs in the session if they share their video.
Note: You cannot start sharing video until a customer has joined the session.
To share your video:
- Click the Video (camera) icon in the toolbar. The Video dialog appears.
- Click Start My Video. Your video appears on the customer’s computer, and the customer has the option of sharing video with you.
Remote Control & Sharing
Once a customer joins your session, the remote control and sharing options become available.
To start remote control or sharing:
- Click the Remote Control icon in the toolbar. The menu is displayed.
2. Select an option. The customer is prompted to allow the option you selected.
If your site administrator has enabled them, two file-transfer options are available.
- Basic File Transfer enables you to broadcast files to the customer. The customer can then select files to download.
- Advanced File Transfer enables you transfer files to or from the customer’s computer.
Note: You cannot transfer a file if you, or another CSR, are viewing or controlling a customer’s application. Before you can transfer files, you must stop application sharing.
To transfer a file:
- Click the File Transfer icon in the toolbar. The transfer options are displayed.
- Select a file transfer method. When the file transfer is complete, continue with step 3.
- When you have finished transferring files, click End File Transfer.
|File Transfer Basic|
|File Transfer Advanced|
Requesting System Information
Use the system information request to get details about hardware and software on the customer’s computer.
To request system information:
- Click the Customer System Information icon in the toolbar.
- Click OK to Close View System Information message. The customer is prompted to allow system information to be shared. System information appears when the customer accepts the request.
Taking Notes and Recording
If you want to save information you gather during a session, you can take notes, or record the session.
To take notes during a session:
- Click the Notes icon in the toolbar. The Notes panel opens.
- Type your notes, then click Save. The Notes window remains open until you close it.
To record a session:
- Click the Record icon in the toolbar. The WebEx Recorder Setup dialog appears.
- Select a recording option, then click Start Recording. The customer is prompted to allow recording to begin.
- When permission is granted, the recorder panel appears.
If you need additional assistance to resolve a customer’s issue, you can invite another CSR to the session at any time.
To invite an additional CSR to a session:
- Click the Invite icon in the toolbar. The Invite dialog appears.
- Select Support Representative, choose an invitation option, then send the invitation.
To transfer control to a CSR in your session:
- Click the Participants icon in the toolbar. The Participant list appears.
- Select the CSR you want to transfer control to, then click Transfer Control. When you transfer a session, support activity ends. You can leave the session, but you cannot end it unless control is transferred back to you.
Ending a Support Session
You can end a support session at any time. Customers cannot end a support session, though they can leave a session at any time by clicking Leave Session.
To end a support session:
- Click the End Session icon in the toolbar. The End Session dialog appears.
- Add or edit notes about the session, then click End Session.