Webex Meetings Desktop App Proximity Troubleshooting Guide
Webex Meetings Desktop App Proximity troubleshooting guide
How do I troubleshoot issues with the Webex Meetings Desktop App Proximity?
Proximity pairing is available for Webex Meetings and Webex on Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android. It enables users to call into their meetings and share screen.
When an endpoint is Cloud registered (call address includes call.ciscospark.com), the proximity makes a silent call out to the Webex Cloud to connect to the device.
When an Endpoint is registered On-prem (likely using companname.com in the call address), the proximity relies on making a connection over HTTPS through the local network.
Follow these steps if you are having trouble pairing with a Cisco Endpoint:
Configure Endpoint for Proximity Pairing:
- Verify from the admin portal that the Endpoint is broadcasting at a sufficient volume.
- Some rooms operate better with a lower ultrasound volume from the Endpoint depending on room size and in-room acoustics. This should be verified per room testing.
- When a device is in Personal Mode, Proximity is disabled.
- If the Endpoint is On-Prem registered, ensure the pairing device (phone, tablet, or computer) is on the same network as the Endpoint.
Configure Windows to use with Proximity:
- Update audio drivers to the latest version available
- Internal microphones need to be able to record at 44.1 - 48 kHz to accept tokens.
- Disconnects any headsets that are connected over Bluetooth or plugged in.
- Disable Exclusive mode for the Internal Microphone. To disable Exclusive mode, go to: Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Right-click on the recording device, then go to Properties > Advanced and uncheck the option "Allow application to take exclusive control of the device".
- Disable Audio Enhancements in Windows. To disable Audio Enhancements, go to Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Right-click on the recording device, then go to Properties > Advanced
- HP - Bang and Olufsen audio enhancement users need to disable Microphone Noise Cancellation
- Dell Audio by RealTek users need to go to Control Panel > Dell Audio Manager, then disable/uncheck any audio enhancements.
Configure a Mac to use with Proximity:
- Ensure your MacBook Microphone is the active input device To verify, go to System Preferences > Sound > Input
Configure Mobile Devices to use with Proximity:
- Disconnect any Bluetooth headphones when trying to pair.
- Ensure the Webex Meetings app or Webex app has access to the microphone.
- Ensure that no other apps are open that are taking control of the microphone.
- Ensure that only 1 proximity app is active: Webex, Webex Meetings, or Proximity app.
- Decrease the Microphone Boost level on Windows to avoid interference captured by the microphone. To decrease the Microphone Boost Level, go to Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Right-click on the recording device, then go to Properties > Levels.
- Use a 3rd party spectrogram app on a mobile phone to monitor for sound in the 20 Hz range. If your phone isn’t able to find the ultrasound frequency in the room, then verify the ultrasound volume level set for the Endpoint.
Was this article helpful?